- Category: Technology
What is X3D?
The Web3D Consortium's X3D (Extensible 3D) is a royalty-free and openly published standard file format specification and run-time architecture to represent and communicate 4D objects, events and environments. The X3D suite of International Standards Organization (ISO) ratified standards provide a robust abstraction for the storage, retrieval and playback of real time 4D graphics content across platforms. The extensible scene graph model of X3D can be equivalently encoded in a number of valid, secure and efficient encodings. The extensible scene graph model of X3D can also be manipulated and accessed through a number of languages through a common API. The development has evolved from its beginnings as the Virtual Reality Modeling Language (VRML) and Humanoid Animation (H-Anim) ISO standards to the considerably more mature and refined X3D.
How to X3D?
You will need a stand-alone X3D engine or a web browser plug-in to view X3D and VRML files! For a short version, see this link; for an exhaustive list, see here. Look for news on our recommendations; currently Fraunhofer's Instant Reality is our stand-alone engine of choice.
Why is X3D important?
- It allows applications to communicate over the Web using an ISO-certified scene graph model, encoded in multiple formats (XML, Binary, VRML-Classic) and bind-able to multiple languages (e.g. ECMA, Java)
- It is modular and extensible, saving development time and money and providing value to vendor and consumer
- It is free for use – not relying on propriety formats and upgrades for a lifetime 4D content lifecycle
- It provides multiple generation and authoring pathways
- It is a project designed and developed through community involvement and industry and open source support
- It enables content developers and tool makers to build on each other and a common fabric for cyberspace
Through cooperative development and membership agreements, the Web3D Consortium works closely with the ISO, DICOM, OGC, Khronos, IMS and W3C standardization bodies to de-Babelize the information ecology and to harmonize diverse technologies for Deep Media convergence. Leveraging the extensible scene graph model of X3D unlocks the full value of virtual and mirror worlds across the web today and tomorrow.
Other Web3D - ISO Standards: