- Category: Technology
Scaling 3D services across client platforms and access rights requires an IT infrastructure specially tailored to 3D and GIS data. In order to meet the many stakeholders of 3D Blacksburg, we developed reproducible pipelines that can transform and compose relevant layers as requested.
Several groups are piloting SDI and services based on Open Geospatial Consortium standards. New emerging standards include the 3D Web Portrayal Service, which can leverage X3D output and views.
The goals for 3D Blacksburg's spatial data infrastructure include:
- Develop virtual city model for VT campus and Town of Blacksburg
- Representation of topography and features
- Support applications of the virtual city model
- Safety and security, community resilience
- Planning, Civic Participation
- Marketing and Tourism
- Public, research, operational/production
- Implement a 3d geodatabase, services, access control
- Ability to embed in other SDIs and framework layers (interoperability)